Thursday, April 07, 2005

Bond, James Bond

It seems like every week comes a new James Bond rumor. Will Brosnan be back or won't he? Will Tarentino direct the new Bond? Who will play Bond if Pierce doesn't come back? Owen, McMahon, Craig, Connery, Crowe? There are a million rumors floating around and most are speculative garbage. For my money, Brosnan has been the best Bond since Connery and he should stay Bond as long as he wants to. Unfortunately, it looks less and less likely that will happen. With Tarentino off the project, it looks like Brosnan will be pushed out for a new, younger Bond. The way I see it, if you want a new young Bond, you have 2 choices. Clive Owen or Julian McMahon. Owen and McMahon both would make terrific James Bonds. I would probably take McMahon over Owen, I think McMahon exudes cool and confidence, like Bond is supposed to. Anyone who watches "Nip/Tuck" knows what I am talking about. Sadly, it looks like neither Brosnan, Owen, or McMahon will be the next James Bond. Instead, the role appears to be going to Daniel Craig. Who is Daniel Craig you ask? He is a British actor who was Paul Newman's son in "The Road to Perdition" and he was supposedly very good in "Layer Cake", which I have not yet seen. I like Craig as an actor, I really do, but he will not make nearly as good a Bond as the other 3. He just doesn't look cool enough. He lacks that fundamental quality that Bond must have, Bond has to be a guy men want to be and a guy women want to be with. Brosnan, Owen and McMahon all have that quality. Craig does not. This all furthers my theory that the people behind the Bond movies couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map. They would rather bring in inferior talent to keep all the control for themselves. Sadly, with inferior talent comes inferior films.

There is no telling how great a Tarentino/Brosnan Bond movie could have been.

1 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Cammo said...

I read that also. Not sure who would make a good black Bond. A slightly younger Denzel would have been perfect. Maybe Jamie Foxx. Tish, I take it your throwing your support behind Clive Owen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home